Sunday, March 13, 2011

Group Bios

    For those of you who don’t know the individuals on this trip, let me give you a little guide. I only knew about half the people coming on this trip before we left, so it’s been really fun getting to know everyone both as a group member and as an individual. I’ve never been a part of a group I enjoy and admire as much as these 11 other Gusties.

Alphabetic order should do it:

    Tyler Bridley aka T-Bird or Impressive Back Guy (as my brother likes to call him): Sophomore, Environmental Studies Major. Whether relaxing in the sauna or cooking something tasty in the kitchen, Tyler is often pondering the day’s lessons and making astute observations. As a Environmental Studies major, Tyler brings a unique perspective to our learning experience. Tyler is also a first generation college student in his family so to have the opportunity to study abroad is something he never takes for granted.

    Anthony Cesnik aka Tone Bone: Junior, Chemistry Major.  Anthony makes me think about topics I never would have considered or thought about before and for that I am grateful. I also appreciate that there’s someone in the group who has no hesitation to take a different side in an discussion and stick to it.  His love of music, science, Scandinavia and learning will undoubtably reach further than this trip alone.

    Nathan Dexter aka Nate Dog or Nej Tack: Sophomore, History and Geography Major. Nate’s one of the most humbly kindhearted people I’ve met. He’s constantly looking behind while we walk somewhere to make sure everyone’s there and is often the first person to ask “are you alright?” if someone’s down. Nate’s ability to recall abstract facts as well as his love of adventure and reindeer is both endearing and unparalleled.

    Jen Fox aka Foxy: Junior, Political Science and Scandinavian Studies Major. No one is more excited for breakfast than Jen. More importantly, I’ve never met someone as genuinely nice as Jen. Whether you’re having a great, terrible, hilarious, awkward, or just a blah day, Jen wants to hear about it. Her passions lie all over the map. Whether she chooses to pursue a career as a politician, photographer, or something else, I have no doubt she’s going to rock the world.
   
    Robert Holder aka Robban: Junior, Scandinavian Studies and Geology Major. Out of everyone in the group, Rob is the only one whose not from a midwest state and has the most traveling experience (including a semester in Sweden in high school). Rob has the uncanny and amazing ability to blend into any situation or social setting. He’s personable, easy going, funny, adventurous, and not to mention fluent in Swedish. It’s easy to see why he makes friends with various local Swedes along the trip.

    Sonja Johnson aka SoJo: Junior, Political Science Major. How to describe oneself? I came on this trip with varied knowledge of Sweden, it’s culture, history, politics, language and people. I try to push myself to do things outside my comfort zone or previous experience in order try and gain something beneficial from it. I also love trying to capture our amazing moments here by photography in hopes of sharing them with you back home.

    Madeline Lang aka Mad Dog: Junior, History Major. My roommate just recently in Mora is sharp witted, independent and caring. In a good way, Maddie always surprises me. I’ve throughly enjoyed getting to know her better day by day through jamming to tunes in the dorm or staying up late to talk. Let’s hope Princess Madeline of Sweden inspires to be Madeline Lang of Minnesota.

    Karla Leitzman aka Larla: Sophomore, Theater Major. A true theater major, Karla has a unique way of entering a room. She also has a knack for falling down and having a smile on her face when she gets back up. It’s impossible not to have fun or have a smile on your face when hanging out with Karla.  For her senior thesis, she’s interested in connecting indigenous peoples (including Sami) to social justice theater.

    Ben Lundquist aka Wheaton: Junior, Political Science and English Major. Having little knowledge of Scandinavia before this trip, Ben has enthusiastically taken up every possibility to learn more about the culture, people, and language of Scandinavia. Not only is he an exuberant and hilarious storyteller but Ben is also a thoughtful and skilled writer.

    Steven Olson aka Esteban: Junior, Scandinavian Studies and History Major. An all around cool guy, Steve impresses me almost every day, whether it’s his ability to add substantial and needed insight to class discussion or outing. It’s hard to describe Steve’s humor, but I’ll just say that it keeps us laughing and upbeat. He will also be staying in Scandinavia during the summer for even further education.

    Cassandra Quam aka Ca$$ Money: Sophomore, Scandinavian Studies Major. Cassandra’s interest in Scandinavia didn’t develop until she arrived at Gustavus, but ever since then she’s fallen in love with the culture and language. Similarly, I didn’t know Cassandra before this trip and now I completely love her. Whether baking, practicing Swedish, dancing, playing cards, or just having fun, Cassandra is always a joy to be with.

    Janella Reiswig aka J-Meister: Sophomore, Classics Major. Spunky and always full of energy, Janella will nerd out about any of the following: linguistics, Asia, crocheting, or Swedish colors. It’s fun how we all know what Janella will get excited about, because no one gets quite as excited about something as Janella. Coming on the trip with no Swedish language experience I’m impressed by how much she’s already learned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its spelled mad-dawg

Post a Comment