Friday, January 21, 2011

what i have seen

I found myself enjoying the sauna here in Jokkmokk, in the pleasant company of some locals. This may seem intimidating, but what has been a reoccuring theme is the level of interest and sense of welcome that is produced in all my experience thus far. Be it the grocery, dorm, classroom, or bus station the atmosphere has that feeling of making one welcomed. People are quick to help, and are even so bold as to inquire about the reason I am here, as well as the others. It is not uncommon to find one group member in deep discussion with a local, or another having a conversation with the store clerk, who is trying to help point out the grocery bags.
What I gather is people have the notion of helping others because they can...sound familiar? This has often been evident in my home towns, especially when its cold out, and to see the similarities of character oceans apart delves into the better part of human nature in similar yet very different living conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment